Mommy and STILL an RN 4 LIFE

tales of a mom of 2 and ER nurse

My Photo
Name:
Location: Aurora, Colorado, United States

This blog spot is dedicated to sharing my love for life and family, as well as being a wife, mother, and nurse.

Monday, January 17, 2011

Baby, It's Cold Outside!

The weather here in Colorado has been very unusual for winter...most days we have sunshine and the temps are in the high 50's. We finally got our first official snowfall of the season just a few short days before 2010 wrapped up. But Mother Nature couldn't just give us a nice fluffy snow fall... no, she had to drop the temperature below zero and tease us with a small dusting of snow. So the kids have been looking forward to sledding all winter, and finally we have a snowballs' chance to go break in the sleds Santa left them this year (pun intended)!
Since it was freezing cold outside, we bundled up from head to toe. Paige grabbed her friend Amanda, and Cole grabbed his buddy Tanner for the adventure.
We like to sled out at the high school behind our house. They have a nice bowl-like landscape that lends itself rather nicely to sledding. Unfortunately there wasn't THAT much snow on the ground. That did not stop the kids from finding the areas that allowed to gain speed, and even catch some air. In fact I think not having to drudge through heavy deep snow gave the kids more stamina to battle the cold temperatures, because they ran up those hills at record speeds to go down again.

Me... I'm a wus. I took a digger on the ice the night before, so I was stiff and sore, and not so up to the challenge of sledding down and climbing up. Usually I am the first one down so I can photograph the kids expressions on their first trip to the bottom. Not today. I enjoyed watching the kids from atop the hill, then I drove the car down to the bottom and watched from below. I know... I'm a wus. Does it count that it was literally below zero with the wind? If you look really close at the pictures you will see the icicles hanging from the kids eye lashes.
So all in all the sledding adventure was a success. The kids didn't last as long as they normally would have - but they had a great time and when they were too cold to continue we headed home to the fire and the hot cocoa. We are looking forward to the next snow storm and hoping we'll catch some more depth next time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home