Mommy and STILL an RN 4 LIFE

tales of a mom of 2 and ER nurse

My Photo
Name:
Location: Aurora, Colorado, United States

This blog spot is dedicated to sharing my love for life and family, as well as being a wife, mother, and nurse.

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Our Ski Trip - PSYCH!



We try to get up to ski at least once a season. Living in Colorado kind of means ya gotta ski, right? Well, I am not much for the whole sport...but Robert likes to snowboard, and the kids want to learn...so I try!
We set aside a weekend to go up with friends and hit the slopes. I wanted to go to WinterPark, but got out-voted. Keystone it was. So I rented ski gear down here since everyone else already owns their own gear, including Robert, and then came the challenge of loading 7 adults worth of *crap* and US into Jen's escalade.
We didn't leave at 0-dark-30 like we had planned because certain members of our party stayed up WAY TOO LATE drinking the night before. In fact, they were just falling asleep when Robert and I got there. Apparantly they needed a little more time to celebrate the visit of Mark and Kim, since it had been years since they had seen each other. Instead of hitting the slopes by 9, it was more like 1030. Jen and I had to turn on some good tunes up front to drown out the whining coming from the back seats as some of the guys were somewhat car-sick...or hung over... and not to mention CRAMMED. But hey, if they had been sober enough to drive they would have had all the leg room they wanted, right?

Once we hit Keystone we got geared up and trekked our way to the gondola. The ski boots that I had rented somehow were not fitting properly and caused me a great deal of strain in my knees and legs. Not good. Still, I loosened the fittings and up the mountain we went.

We could not have asked for more beautiful weather! The scenery was beautiful. I had never skii'd Keystone before, so I was taking it all in. Mark and Kim were amazed at the height of our mountains.

It wasn't long when the ski day turned into the "hang out in the lodge and watch football day." Kevin wiped out on his snowboard and suffered a concussion on his first trip down. Sean lost control of his board and ended up on the Ski Patrol wagon down the mountain on HIS first trip down. My ski boots made my legs hurt so badly that I actually threw up. Everyone else had a chance to get some nice runs in, but I stayed in the lodge and kept Kevin company and Sean hung out in the urgent care center . . . I would say the trip was a waste... but we actually had a LOT of laughs and spent some quality time together!
When the sun went down we went back up for some night skiing and spent the majority of the evening on the bunny slopes teaching Kevin and Jen how to snowboard. It was a very fun ending to the day and made the money spent well worth it!

Our next trip up is in the planning stages, and this time we will be bringing Paige and Cole!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home