A Farmer's GrandDaughter
Today I am feeling sad, blessed and greatful, all at once. It is a weird feeling to have so many emotions running through me. I have cried a lot of tears today, and I experienced my favorite emotion, laughter through tears. Laughter through tears is something that doesn't happen very often. Reading this so far, it probably sounds like I lost a loved one. I didn't.
My grandpa, my only grandpa, is the reason for all these feelings today. He's been going through some rigorous testing over the past couple of weeks. He's been having a few issues with his cardiovascular system. Mainly some high blood pressure and feeling short of breath. It had been determined that he needed a cardiac cathertization to get a good glimpse at what is going on inside his heart. He had that procedure today. Details of the procedure and what they found are detailed and too lengthy to get into. So I will summarize by saying that he did not have any stents placed. They were not warranted at this time. Good news. However, his vasculature appears to be very diseased. Bad news.
When I wasn't working, or earning my keep on the farm, I was playing. My grandpa taught me how to find my way out of a corn field if I ever got lost. I loved to wander around in the corn and look at all the bugs, and count the ears of corn on each stalk.
He helped me to climb trees in the orchard out back so I wouldn't hang on the laundry line (which I broke one time - that was the first time he yelled at me). He let me climb around in his tractors, his combines, the corn crib, the hay loft. He took me to the Maid Rite (the best loose meat hamburger joint in the world!) and bought me a sandwich and a strawberry malt whenever I wanted! And probably my fondest memory of those summers was learning how to drive. My grandpa put me behind the wheel of his tractor when I was 6 years old, on his lap of course...but I was queen of the world up in that John Deere! We would go real slow down the roads and I would wave at the town folk as they drove by. They always smiled and waved back. As soon as I was big enough to reach the peddles, he let me drive his pick-up. I was 11. He showed me how to drive a stick shift and off we went down the gravel roads. I had no sense of direction, so he told me I better learn quick, or we'd be late for supper. He taught me how and where to watch for deer, a very useful skill that I still use today! He taught me to parallel park in between bails of hay.
My grandpa taught me a lot more than how to drive. He taught me the value of family. He's the youngest of 5 and lost his dad at a young age. His brother died young as well, so he has been the patriarch of this family for a long time. He taught me what true love is all about. He and my grandma have been smitten since grade school. I am amazed at their love for one another. In their presence you can tell how in love they really are. He taught me about God. He taught me about money. He taught me about hard work and dedication. The list goes on and on.
Since becoming an adult I have continued the tradition of going to the farm every summer. I have taken my husband and children back to show and teach them about my childhood memories. The first time I took Robert to the farm my grandpa taught HIM how to drive his tractor... and he ran over and flattened a couple rows of good corn. Good thing... my grandpa also taught me about forgiveness.

My grandpa, my only grandpa, is the reason for all these feelings today. He's been going through some rigorous testing over the past couple of weeks. He's been having a few issues with his cardiovascular system. Mainly some high blood pressure and feeling short of breath. It had been determined that he needed a cardiac cathertization to get a good glimpse at what is going on inside his heart. He had that procedure today. Details of the procedure and what they found are detailed and too lengthy to get into. So I will summarize by saying that he did not have any stents placed. They were not warranted at this time. Good news. However, his vasculature appears to be very diseased. Bad news.My grandpa is the only man in my life, besides my husband, who has loved me unconditionally. He was, in a way, more like a father to me than a grandfather. I spent almost every summer as far back as I can
remember on his farm in Iowa with he and my grandma doing a farmer's granddaughter's duties. I helped with the chores (feeding the rabbits, the cattle, and my favorite, the kitties). I helped tend to the garden with my grandma, picking fresh cabbage, carrots, onions, green beans, etc. and then cleaning them for supper. I rode with my grandpa into town to the local elevator to hear what the crops were doing. I watched him write huge checks for equipment, seed, fertilizer. I walked the bean fields looking for damage to the crop. I helped pick, shuck, cook and can sweet corn. I even helped build an electric fence once to keep the raccoons out of the sweet corn.
remember on his farm in Iowa with he and my grandma doing a farmer's granddaughter's duties. I helped with the chores (feeding the rabbits, the cattle, and my favorite, the kitties). I helped tend to the garden with my grandma, picking fresh cabbage, carrots, onions, green beans, etc. and then cleaning them for supper. I rode with my grandpa into town to the local elevator to hear what the crops were doing. I watched him write huge checks for equipment, seed, fertilizer. I walked the bean fields looking for damage to the crop. I helped pick, shuck, cook and can sweet corn. I even helped build an electric fence once to keep the raccoons out of the sweet corn. 
When I wasn't working, or earning my keep on the farm, I was playing. My grandpa taught me how to find my way out of a corn field if I ever got lost. I loved to wander around in the corn and look at all the bugs, and count the ears of corn on each stalk.
He helped me to climb trees in the orchard out back so I wouldn't hang on the laundry line (which I broke one time - that was the first time he yelled at me). He let me climb around in his tractors, his combines, the corn crib, the hay loft. He took me to the Maid Rite (the best loose meat hamburger joint in the world!) and bought me a sandwich and a strawberry malt whenever I wanted! And probably my fondest memory of those summers was learning how to drive. My grandpa put me behind the wheel of his tractor when I was 6 years old, on his lap of course...but I was queen of the world up in that John Deere! We would go real slow down the roads and I would wave at the town folk as they drove by. They always smiled and waved back. As soon as I was big enough to reach the peddles, he let me drive his pick-up. I was 11. He showed me how to drive a stick shift and off we went down the gravel roads. I had no sense of direction, so he told me I better learn quick, or we'd be late for supper. He taught me how and where to watch for deer, a very useful skill that I still use today! He taught me to parallel park in between bails of hay.
My grandpa taught me a lot more than how to drive. He taught me the value of family. He's the youngest of 5 and lost his dad at a young age. His brother died young as well, so he has been the patriarch of this family for a long time. He taught me what true love is all about. He and my grandma have been smitten since grade school. I am amazed at their love for one another. In their presence you can tell how in love they really are. He taught me about God. He taught me about money. He taught me about hard work and dedication. The list goes on and on.Since becoming an adult I have continued the tradition of going to the farm every summer. I have taken my husband and children back to show and teach them about my childhood memories. The first time I took Robert to the farm my grandpa taught HIM how to drive his tractor... and he ran over and flattened a couple rows of good corn. Good thing... my grandpa also taught me about forgiveness.

My grandparents sold the acreage a few years back. They now live in a small apartment on the edge of town. From the balcony you can still see crops
for miles and even see a deer at dusk...but it's not the same. My kids love to take the trip to Iowa. They don't get the same experience I did with the endless hours on the farm... but my grandpa always takes us out to the fields. He still owns his land, but he hires young farmers to take care of it now.
In town we still get to catch fireflies at night. And don't forget the noisy locusts. They are in town as much as they were out on the farm.
for miles and even see a deer at dusk...but it's not the same. My kids love to take the trip to Iowa. They don't get the same experience I did with the endless hours on the farm... but my grandpa always takes us out to the fields. He still owns his land, but he hires young farmers to take care of it now.
In town we still get to catch fireflies at night. And don't forget the noisy locusts. They are in town as much as they were out on the farm. <---- Cole's first Maid Rite and strawberry malt! :)
I have been praying a lot over the past two weeks 
that everything turns out OK with his heart. My grandpa is 79 years old now. He still has a lot of life in him and a lot of living to do. I am blessed to have had him all these years and I am not prepared for anything other than a healthy outcome. One thing that my grandfather is... is stubborn. So if I know him, a little setback like this is not going to stop him. It might slow him down...but that's probably what he needs.


that everything turns out OK with his heart. My grandpa is 79 years old now. He still has a lot of life in him and a lot of living to do. I am blessed to have had him all these years and I am not prepared for anything other than a healthy outcome. One thing that my grandfather is... is stubborn. So if I know him, a little setback like this is not going to stop him. It might slow him down...but that's probably what he needs.



1 Comments:
Ihope things work out ok for your grandpa. There's something to be said about the midwest, isn't there? Coming from the Minnesota farm myself, there's nothing like the smell of the warm black dirt, the clean fresh air (unless there's livestock involved!) and the 'loud' quiet and stillness of the trees, birds, insects, frogs...
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home